Director, Financial Reporting
December 6, 2017
Financial Reporting Director
Dallas, TX (North Dallas)
What does it mean to be a BrinkerHead? We play like a team, take pride in our culture and seek every opportunity to make people feel special. Life is short. Work happy. At Brinker, we connect, serve and give to create the best life for our Team Members, Guests and community. Through our cultural beliefs, Brinker empowers its Team Members to positively impact our 4 Key Results: Engaging Team Members, Bringing Back Guests, Growing Sales and Increasing Profits.
The Financial Reporting Director manages the SEC reporting function and the accounting for technical areas of the business, oversees technical accounting research, and evaluates and provides recommendations to senior management regarding complex accounting issues and transactions. This role reports to the Vice President – Controller and will partner extensively with others in corporate accounting, finance, tax, legal, investor relations, treasury, human resources and IT. Prepare and manage the drafting and filing processes for all SEC filings, including 10-K/10-Q, XBRL, 8-K’s and Proxy Statement.
Your Key Job Functions
- Oversee the completion of all required financial filings with the SEC
- Manage the day-to-day responsibilities of one manager and one senior analyst and perform related supervisory/review duties, including review of 10-Q/10-K support, month-end close journal entries and account reconciliations
- Perform technical accounting research for various areas including goodwill, share-based compensation, revenue recognition, lease accounting, debt transactions, segment reporting and other matters and prepare related white-paper documentation
- Oversee preparation of quarterly earnings materials including the company’s earnings release
- Monitor FASB and SEC developments to identify and document the potential impact of new pronouncements or other authoritative guidance and manage the implementation of the related accounting and disclosure requirements
- Annual impairment analyses for goodwill and other intangible assets (ASC 350)
- Oversee the completion of the Company’s impairment assessment for long-lived assets (ASC 360)
- Review, update and draft accounting policies related to critical/complex accounting estimates
- Complete special projects and prepare analyses for senior management requiring technical accounting research and analysis of financial information as requested
- Review quarterly reconciliation of shares outstanding and calculation of basic/diluted EPS, including an evaluation of the dilutive impact of equity-based awards with performance conditions
- Coordinate the year-end audit, quarterly reviews, benefit plan audits and other statutory audits with external auditors
- Oversee updating the SOX controls and process narratives for the Financial Reporting department and consult with other departments as necessary
- Assist in the budgeting/forecasting process as needed, including the reviewing of weighted average share and share-based compensation expense forecasts
- Manage relationships in a manner acceptable to others and to the organization; adhere consistently with all organizational policies related to our respectful workplace
- Work collaboratively with others within and outside of his or her function to achieve goals, simplify processes, reduce costs, prevent loss, and to ensure that work is completed safely, accurately, and on time
- Responsible for adhering consistently with all employment policies as stated in the employee handbook provided or as provided by his or her supervisor
What You Bring to the Team
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related, accredited field required
- CPA certification required
- 10+ years of total experience in a public accounting firm and/or a public company environment.
- A combination of industry and Big 4 experience is preferred.
- Experience in SEC Reporting and/or technical accounting required
- Supervisory experience required
- Demonstrated ability to research and interpret accounting guidance, draft accounting memos to support conclusions and coordinate with external auditors to ensure alignment on positions
- Strong U.S. GAAP acumen and understanding of accounting and financial reporting matters affecting public companies
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills and strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to effectively interface with multiple levels of management
- Exceptional analytical skills
- Strong understanding and hands-on experience with XBRL
- Proficient with Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- Attention to detail and data quality control – effective at researching issues and problem solving
- Possess proficient analytical, problem solving and decision making skills,
- Communicate and convey clearly information and ideas through a variety of media to individuals or groups in a manner that engages the audience and helps them understand and retain the message,
- Work independently and effectively manage time and resources to ensure that work is completed efficiently; able to multi-task and adapt quickly to a dynamic work environment.
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate and bring to life the Brinker cultural beliefs:
- Feedback’s Priceless – I see more through your feedback.
- Own it – I own and achieve key results.
- Win Together – I work across boundaries to achieve key results.
- Trust Matters – I act in a manner that cultivates trust in others.
- Thinking Forward – I think and act in a manner to deliver desired future results.
- Competitive salary.
- Every team member working at the Restaurant Support Center (aka Brinker headquarters) eligible for annual bonus potential.
- Generous dining discounts at Brinker owned brands.
- A choice of healthcare plans, 401(k) Savings Plan with a company match and generous holidays.
- Onsite gym plus opportunities to increase your wellbeing with onsite Yoga and boot camp programs.
- Work/Life/Fun balance in a casual and collaborative work environment.
- Team members enjoy company-wide events and celebrations.
- Regular volunteer opportunities with our community give back programs.