Director – Financial Reporting
November 19, 2020
Financial Reporting Director
Dallas, TX (Coppell)
What does it mean to be a BrinkerHead? We play like a team, take pride in our culture and seek every opportunity to make people feel special. Life is short. Work happy.
At Brinker, we connect, serve and give to create the best life for our Team Members, Guests and community. Through our cultural beliefs, Brinker empowers its Team Members to positively impact our 4 Key Results: Engaging Team Members, Bringing Back Guests, Growing Sales and Increasing Profits.
Brinker International is an equal opportunity employer; we foster an inclusion environment that promotes respect, diversity of thought and success for all.
The Financial Reporting Directormanages the financial reporting and property accounting functions including SEC reporting, lease accounting and fixed assets accounting. This role has direct oversight of the SEC reporting function and the accounting for technical areas of the business including technical accounting research, implementation of accounting standards and creation of recommendations to senior management regarding complex accounting issues and transactions. This role reports to the Vice President – Controller and will partner extensively with others in corporate accounting, finance, tax, legal, investor relations, treasury, human resources and IT. Prepare and manage the drafting and filing processes for all SEC filings, including 10-K/10-Q, XBRL, 8-K’s and Proxy Statement.
Your Key Job Functions
- Manage internal and external relationships in a positive manner acceptable to others and to the organization; adhere consistently with all organizational policies related to our respectful workplace
- Work collaboratively with others within and outside the function to achieve goals, simplify processes, reduce costs, prevent loss, and to ensure that work is completed safely, accurately, and on time
- Develop technical and professional skills of direct reports and teams, empower self-directed career progression and create an environment where team member engagement and effective collaboration is a priority
- Oversee the completion of all required financial filings with the SEC including drafting and filing processes for all SEC filings, including 10-K/10-Q, XBRL, 8-K’s and Proxy Statement.
- Manage the day-to-day responsibilities of two managers and one supervisor
- Perform supervisory/review duties, including review of 10-Q/10-K support, month-end close journal entries and account reconciliations and in certain scenarios direct preparation of analyses and supporting documentation
- Perform or oversee technical accounting research for various areas including goodwill, share-based compensation, revenue recognition, lease accounting, debt transactions, segment reporting and other matters and prepare related white-paper documentation
- Oversee preparation of quarterly earnings materials including the company’s earnings release in coordination with Investor Relations
- Monitor FASB and SEC developments to identify and document the potential impact of new pronouncements or other authoritative guidance and manage the implementation of the related accounting and disclosure requirements
- Annual impairment analyses for goodwill and other intangible assets (ASC 350)
- Oversee the completion of the Company’s impairment assessment for long-lived assets (ASC 360)
- Review, update and draft accounting policies related to critical/complex accounting estimates
- Complete special projects and prepare analyses for senior management requiring technical accounting research and analysis of financial information as requested
- Review quarterly reconciliations of key accounts and review of shares outstanding and calculation of basic/diluted EPS, including an evaluation of the dilutive impact of equity-based awards with performance conditions
- Manage relationship with external and internal auditors including coordination of the year-end audit, quarterly reviews, benefit plan audits and other statutory audits
- Responsibility for internal controls and process narratives for direct areas of responsibility and consult with other departments as necessary on the proper application of internal controls and requisite documentation
- Assist in the budgeting/forecasting process including capital expenditures, lease related expenses and amortization, share-based compensation and weighted average shares (for example)
- Responsible for adhering with all employment policies as stated in the employee handbook provided or as provided by his or her supervisor
What You Bring to the Team
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills and strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to effectively interface with all levels within the organization
- Advanced degree in Accounting
- CPA certification required
- 12+ years of total experience in a public accounting firm and/or a public company environment.
- A combination of industry and Big 4 experience is preferred.
- Significant experience in SEC Reporting and/or technical accounting required
- Supervisory experience required
- Demonstrated ability to research and interpret accounting guidance, draft accounting memos to support conclusions and coordinate with external auditors to ensure alignment on positions
- Strong U.S. GAAP acumen and understanding of accounting and financial reporting matters affecting public companies
- Exceptional analytical skills
- Strong understanding and hands-on experience with XBRL
- Proficient with Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- Attention to detail and data quality control — effective at researching issues and problem solving.
- Possess proficient analytical, problem solving and decision making skills
- Communicate and convey clearly information and ideas through a variety of media to individuals or groups in a manner that engages the audience and helps them understand and retain the message
- Work independently and effectively manage time and resources
- We offer a competitive benefits package including medical/dental/vision, life insurance, paid vacation/holidays, and 401(k) with company match and generous dining discounts. Every team member working at the Restaurant Support Center (aka Brinker headquarters) is eligible for annual bonus potential.
- Our campus includes an onsite gym plus opportunities to increase your wellbeing with onsite Yoga and boot camp programs. Work/Life/Fun balance in a casual and collaborative work environment! Team members enjoy company-wide events and celebrations. Regular volunteer opportunities with our community give back programs.
- Check our Careers page for more exciting opportunities! Brinker Careers
- Join our talent communities! Brinker LinkedIn