PR and Communications Specialist
Corporate Communications / Public Relations
January 12, 2021
PR & Communications Specialist
What does it mean to be a BrinkerHead? We play like a team, take pride in our culture and seek every opportunity to make people feel special. Life is short. Work happy.
At Brinker, we connect, serve and give to create the best life for our Team Members, Guests and community. Through our cultural beliefs, Brinker empowers its Team Members to positively impact our 4 Key Results: Engaging Team Members, Bringing Back Guests, Growing Sales and Increasing Profits.
Brinker International is an equal opportunity employer; we foster an inclusion environment that promotes respect, diversity of thought and success for all.
Brinker International, Inc., home of Chili’s® Grill & Bar, Maggiano’s Little Italy® and It’s Just Wings, is looking for a communications specialist with excellent writing chops to support attention-getting PR efforts for Brinker and its brands. As a member of the team, you’ll have exposure to public relations, internal communications, employer branding and design. You’ll learn how communications holistically comes together, and have the opportunity to learn about and contribute to meaningful external communications projects. Plus, you’ll have an integral role working with marketing, and exposure to how projects go from ideation into market to consumers.
The focus of this role will be supporting public relations and external communications, so it requires a PR professional with a strong understanding of media relations and a proven track record of securing coverage. Your time will be spent translating how business priorities could be media worthy, keeping a pulse on the latest news and top reporters, crafting messages, pitching media, sharing those stories across the organization and measuring the results.
Your Key Job Functions
- Support the PR team with the creation and execution of an integrated PR strategy and plan that aligns with company objectives
- Collaborate with a variety of Team Members at all levels across the organization and meet stringent deadlines in a fast-paced, demanding work environment. Work closely with agency and internal partners, ensuring they’re informed, and support status calls and meetings
- Generate story ideas and pitch angles
- Pitch and build relationships with local, regional, national and trade media and bloggers to land earned coverage
- Develop press materials maintaining brand voice, such as press releases, pitches, media alerts, media backgrounders, executive bios, fact sheets and press kit materials to effectively tell the brand story, with a focus on digital content
- Support PR reporting and coverage highlight reels
- Monitor media outlets for company and competitor news; assist in building and maintaining strategic media lists, stay informed of key issues and trends impacting the industry and distill meaningful insights from media coverage
- Manage content updates for brinker.com and maintain asset library for press, including images, videos and other multimedia content that tells the brand story
- Help manage Brinker, Chili’s and It’s Just Wings media requests
- Support crisis and issues communications, as needed
- Understand key needs of the brand’s target audiences and tailor messages accordingly
- Support larger communications team on various projects, as needed
What You Bring to the Team
- Bachelor's degree in public relations, communications or related field/experience
- Two to three years of public relations and/or communications experience
- Strong writing and storytelling skills, with writing samples/portfolio
- Proven track record of earning media coverage
- Detail-oriented, creative thinker with proven problem-solving skills
- Ability to prioritize projects and assignments, communicate progress and deliver on time
- Team player with proactive and strong interpersonal skills to work in a collaborative environment
- Self-starter who can drive initiatives from start to completion
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to effectively communicate with Team Members across multiple levels
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment while managing multiple tasks simultaneously while meeting deadlines and objectives
- Experience with and understanding of integrated marketing efforts, including knowledge of new social media trends, pop-culture moments and more
- Strong professionalism and ability to maintain confidentiality in sensitive situations
- Well-versed in Associated Press (AP) Style
- Ability to work outside 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. timeframe as situations arise; some travel involved
Bonus points for experience in:
- Securing coverage in local, regional and national outlets
- Building media lists using a database, tracking coverage, downloading media clips and reporting results
- Google Analytics
- Restaurant and/or hospitality industry
- Microsoft Office Suite, including Excel and PowerPoint
To be considered for this position, you must take a timed writing test and provide samples of previous work.
We offer a competitive benefits package including medical/dental/vision, life insurance, paid vacation/holidays, and 401(k) with company match and generous dining discounts. Every team member working at the Restaurant Support Center (aka Brinker headquarters) is eligible for annual bonus potential.
Our campus includes an onsite gym plus opportunities to increase your wellbeing with onsite Yoga and boot camp programs. Work/Life/Fun balance in a casual and collaborative work environment! Team members enjoy company-wide events and celebrations. Regular volunteer opportunities with our community give back programs.
Check our Careers page for more exciting opportunities! Brinker Careers