Director of Food Safety and Quality Assurance
Food Safety/Quality Assurance
April 30, 2021
Director of Food Safety and Quality Assurance
Dallas TX (North Dallas)
What does it mean to be a BrinkerHead? We play like a team, take pride in our culture and seek every opportunity to make people feel special. Life is short. Work happy.
At Brinker, we connect, serve and give to create the best life for our Team Members, Guests and community. Through our cultural beliefs, Brinker empowers its Team Members to positively impact our 4 Key Results: Engaging Team Members, Bringing Back Guests, Growing Sales and Increasing Profits.
Brinker International is an equal opportunity employer; we foster an inclusion environment that promotes respect, diversity of thought and success for all.
Director of the Food Safety and Quality Assurance is responsible for the development and execution of comprehensive programs involving supply chain food safety, product integrity and quality assurance; providing direction and technical expertise in these areas to corporate and brand management in order to drive desired results. Leads coordination of multiple departments (Culinary, Procurement, Operations, Distribution, etc.) to develop and conduct product and program testing with new and existing vendor partners. Partners closely with vendors to develop, revise and improve processes appropriate for Brinker Food Safety and Sanitation standards related to supply chain, food distribution, and other quality assurance and food safety programs as assigned.
Your Key Job Functions
- Provide leadership in the areas of Food Safety and Quality Assurance by creating strategy and direction for the department.
- Drives supplier-partners and culinary teams to elevate food quality for the guest.
- Directs and develops standards that assure the food safety and product integrity of all food and sanitation products purchased from 400+ vendors through 60+ distribution centers for Brinker concepts.
- Directs and develops the audit and approval programs for food, packaging, distribution, and sanitation vendor facilities.
- Champions continuous improvement in food safety and sanitation by leveraging technology and providing user-friendly cost effective solutions.
- Partners with Culinary/R&D with comprehensive product specification program for all Brinker products focusing on high volume, key products.
- Direct and develop an on-going product monitoring program, including both microbial, physical and chemical analysis, using both in-house and outside resources to assure compliance to specification.
- Establish, food manufacturing, handling, shipping, storage and use standards, from manufacturer through restaurant use, to assure food safety and quality. These will include processor, vendor, distributor and restaurant standards, as necessary.
- Provide expertise to Operations, Training, Culinary, Franchise, and other departments to assure all restaurants meet Brinker standards.
- Lead a system-wide product recall program.
- Provide technical expertise on corporate crisis management programs, including the further development of food safety related crisis procedures, and together with Risk Management, Legal and other Brinker Departments, assisting with the resolution of food-borne illness reports.
- Insure all products, specific to concept identity, are proprietary to Brinker Develop programs and strategies to ensure product safety throughout the entire supply chain process, to include all products, food packaging items, equipment, tools and chemicals.
What you Bring to the Team
- 12+ years quality control / quality assurance / food safety / management and supervisory experience within a multi-unit food service organization, or in a food manufacturing capacity, is required; of which 8 + years’ experience managing Quality Assurance and Food Safety programs for a multi-unit food service organization, and 4 + years’ experience managing Quality Assurance and Food Safety programs for a large food products manufacturer.
- A minimum of 5 years managing/ mentoring and leading employees. Strong food service background required, preferably with a casual dining restaurant chain.
- College degree required (4 year), preferably in food science, microbiology or other related science. Requires both Food Safety ServSafe Basic and Trainer Certification and/or attendance in progress to be promoted. R.S. or R.E.H.S. required, or actively working towards accreditation. Presentation Skills - ability to make clear, concise and convincing business presentations that will have high level impact with executive and senior level management. Analytical/Negotiating - ability to independently perform, mentor and manage others in conducting complex technical analysis of vendor or restaurant food safety & quality performance along with ability to conduct related complex negotiations that result.
- Strategic Management - ability to develop distinctive strategies to achieve competitive advantage; translate broad strategies into specific objectives and action plans; align the organization to support strategic priorities.
- Leadership -ability to act as team leader ; providing leadership in development of QA skills and specific QA knowledge for QA team members; demonstrated ability to develop subordinates by driving, delegating, supporting, coaching, and empowering.
- Mentoring -ability to mentor other QA team members in technical knowledge and QA management skills.
- Interpersonal Skills - ability to build effective organizational relationships inside and outside the department; ability to inspire trust via open, candid relationships, fair treatment and behavior consistent with expressed beliefs and commitments.
- Communication Skills - excellent verbal, written and oral ability to deal independently with internal customers and external resources, including technical writing and presentation skills.
- Judgement/Decision Making/Problem Solving - ability to independently work through complex problems and derive innovative solutions/options.
- Computer Skills - working knowledge of Microsoft based software, including Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and ability to work within Supply Chain software solutions.
- Other - ability to elicit internal and external support; good interpersonal skills; ability to work under pressure and short time lines, prioritizing multiple projects with various deadlines simultaneously, as well as attention to detail with accuracy.
- Special Technical Skills - must possess special technical skills as detailed below:
- Laboratory experience (or experience working with and approving outside laboratories) required.
- Ability to understand and interpret analytical results with specific knowledge relating to chemical, physical, sensory and microbiological analyses (or experience working with outside laboratories in this capacity).
- Ability to successfully manage a restaurant food safety program with specific knowledge relating to food safety practices and microbiological analyses.
- Ability to successfully manage supply-side food safety and quality assurance programs for a multiple concept, international restaurant company, with comprehensive, specific knowledge relating to meat, poultry, dairy, fish, produce and processed foods.
- Comprehensive knowledge regarding food safety, HACCP and federal, state and local regulations governing food products and restaurants is required.
We offer a competitive benefits package including medical/dental/vision, life insurance, paid vacation/holidays, and 401(k) with company match and generous dining discounts. Every team member working at the Restaurant Support Center (aka Brinker headquarters) is eligible for annual bonus potential.
Our campus includes an onsite gym plus opportunities to increase your wellbeing with onsite Yoga and boot camp programs. Work/Life/Fun balance in a casual and collaborative work environment! Team members enjoy company-wide events and celebrations. Regular volunteer opportunities with our community give back programs.
Check our Careers page for more exciting opportunities! Brinker Careers