Accounting Director Shared Services
May 20, 2021
Accounting Director – Shared Services
What does it mean to be a BrinkerHead? We play like a team, take pride in our culture and seek every opportunity to make people feel special. Life is short. Work happy.
At Brinker, we connect, serve and give to create the best life for our Team Members, Guests and community. Through our cultural beliefs, Brinker empowers its Team Members to positively impact our 4 Key Results: Engaging Team Members, Bringing Back Guests, Growing Sales and Increasing Profits.
Brinker International is an equal opportunity employer; we foster an inclusion environment that promotes respect, diversity of thought and success for all.
Your Key Job Functions
The Accounting Shared Services Director manages credit card, gift card, accounts receivables, cash accounting and franchise accounting functions. This director serves as a key member of the Accounting Leadership Team led by the VP-Controller and works directly with many key leaders from across the business to bring new initiatives and sales channels to our restaurants. This role has direct oversight of fifteen professionals including two managers working in the two payment processing teams and the franchise accounting team. The payments team also works in tandem with our IT security teams to ensure our transaction processing is secure and handled in compliance with PCI and payment card industry requirements. Responsibilities also include governance and oversight of functions performed by a third party offshore team. The Director will serve as the primary accounting contact for our business development teams relating to all forms of payment processing including online and virtual brands. We are actively enhancing our digital guest experience and provide a multitude of options for our guests to order and pay. The Director will also manage vendor relationships with our credit card processor, gift card processor, transaction scoring software vendor and manage relationships with our domestic and global franchise partner accounting departments. Additionally, this Director will be an integral contributor to the ongoing implementation of new financial systems. This role reports to the Vice President - Controller and will partner extensively with others in corporate accounting, finance, tax, legal, investor relations, treasury, human resources and IT.
- Manage internal and external relationships in a positive manner acceptable to others and to the organization; adhere consistently with all organizational policies related to our respectful workplace
- Work collaboratively with others within and outside the function to achieve goals, simplify processes, reduce costs, prevent loss, and to ensure that work is completed safely, accurately, and on time
- Develop technical and professional skills of direct reports and teams, empower self-directed career progression and create an environment where team member engagement and effective collaboration is a priority
- Oversee the completion of supporting documentation required for financial filings with the SEC
- Manage the day-to-day responsibilities of two managers and a supervisor
- Perform supervisory/review duties, including review of month-end close journal entries and account reconciliations and in certain scenarios direct preparation of analyses and supporting documentation
- Perform or oversee forecasting for various areas including credit card fees, delivery services fees and gift card fees.
- Review, update and draft accounting policies related to critical/complex accounting estimates
- Complete special projects and prepare analyses for senior management requiring detailed analysis of financial information as requested
- Review quarterly reconciliations of key accounts
- Manage relationships with external and internal auditors including support of the year-end audit and quarterly reviews
- Responsibility for internal controls and process narratives for direct areas of responsibility and consult with other departments as necessary on the proper application of internal controls and requisite documentation
- Responsible for adhering with all employment policies as stated in the employee handbook provided or as provided by his or her supervisor
What You Bring to the Team
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills and strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to effectively interface with all levels within the organization
- Accounting degree and CPA certification preferred
- 12+ years of total experience in a public accounting firm and/or a public company environment.
- A combination of industry and Big 4 experience is preferred.
- Experience in SEC Reporting and/or technical accounting a plus
- Managerial experience required
- Strong U.S. GAAP acumen and understanding of accounting and financial reporting matters affecting public companies
- Exceptional analytical skills
- Proficient with Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- Attention to detail and data quality control — effective at researching issues and problem solving
- Possess proficient analytical, problem solving and decision making skills,
- Communicate and convey clearly information and ideas through a variety of media to individuals or groups in a manner that engages the audience and helps them understand and retain the message,
- Work independently and effectively manage time and resources to ensure that work is completed efficiently; able to multi-task and adapt quickly to a dynamic work environment.
We offer a competitive benefits package including medical/dental/vision, life insurance, paid vacation/holidays, and 401(k) with company match and generous dining discounts. Every team member working at the Restaurant Support Center (aka Brinker headquarters) is eligible for annual bonus potential.
Our campus includes an onsite gym plus opportunities to increase your wellbeing with onsite Yoga and boot camp programs. Work/Life/Fun balance in a casual and collaborative work environment! Team members enjoy company-wide events and celebrations. Regular volunteer opportunities with our community give back programs.
Check our Careers page for more exciting opportunities!
Join our talent communities!