Senior Category Manager
August 30, 2023
Senior Category Manager
What does it mean to be a BrinkerHead? We play like a team, take pride in our culture and seek every opportunity to make people feel special. Life is short. Work happy.
At Brinker, we connect, serve and give to create the best life for our Team Members, Guests and community. Through our cultural beliefs, Brinker empowers its Team Members to positively impact our 4 Key Results: Engaging Team Members, Bringing Back Guests, Growing Sales and Increasing Profits.
Brinker International is an equal opportunity employer; we foster an inclusion environment that promotes respect, diversity of thought and success for all.
Brinker is seeking an experienced Senior Category Manager in our Indirect Procurement team to align procurement strategies with overall business objectives. This team member will support Brinker’s internal stakeholders and restaurant operations in strategic sourcing activities corporate services in the following areas: IT, Energy, Marketing, Accounting, Finance, HR, Treasury, Risk, and others. This team member will lead strategic supplier negotiations with the goal of achieving process efficiencies and cost avoidance/reductions. This senior leader will develop a process for contract governance for the Indirect Procurement team.
Your Key Job Functions
Key job responsibilities include partnering with the business stakeholders to understand sourcing needs to establish and drive cost savings and avoidance targets inclusive of, but not limited to:
· Contract Management:
o Develop, review and manage contracts, agreements, statements of work, etc. with best-in-class suppliers.
o Negotiate agreements with buy-in from stakeholders by leveraging terms, conditions, volumes, etc. Ensure cost-effectiveness and quality of goods and services.
o Ensuring adherence to contracts by managing service levels and metrics. Create touchpoints with internal and external teams such as annual business reviews.
o Review/analyze various agreement documents to ensure they meet Brinker requirements with Legal and Risk Management support.
o Analyze and effectively communicate economic terms with internal stakeholders to ensure compliance with budgets.
- Supplier Relationship Management:
o Develop, manage and evaluate a portfolio of suppliers, ensuring best-in-class partnerships.
o Serve as an escalation point for Brinker team members in times of contract disputes and/or service issues.
o Develop supplier scorecards, facilitate and/or participate in business reviews.
- Cross-functional Relationship Management:
o Proven collaborative and interpersonal skills required to build, support, and participate in leadership teams across the organization.
o Manage multiple projects by establishing and meeting timelines to stakeholder’s requirements.
o Ensure internal teams are informed timely of contract terms, expiration dates, and renewal options, if applicable.
o Write and apply procurement knowledge to Requests for Proposals, Quotes or Information (RFPs, RFQs, RFIs) for new or existing strategic projects.
o Review/analyze information to make sound project recommendations and system/process improvements.
- Procurement Compliance:
o Keep informed of key industry and market information including category specific trends, market conditions, and best in class suppliers.
o Develop process and lead team in contract compliance and management activities.
- Sustainability and Energy Management:
o Manage Brinker’s energy and sustainability program by partnering and communicating with established third-party.
o Implement energy management programs.
What You Bring to the Team
· 10 years non-food purchasing experience strongly preferred. Restaurant or hospitality industry strongly preferred.
· Experience with Energy category management a plus
· Bachelor’s Degree at a minimum
· Technical Knowledge- demonstrates broad and deep technical knowledge of commodity and product procurement including specification, market trends, proficient interfacing between vendor/customer and purchasing.
· Communication Skills- excellent verbal, written and oral capabilities to deal independently with internal customers and external resources.
· Budget/Cost Control- general understanding of procurement budgeting and cost control functions, with ability to perform complex budgeting/cost control processes.
· Judgment/Decision Making- ability to make appropriate business judgments and decisions independently. Demonstrated ability to perform strategic thinking and planning.
· Problem Solving- ability to independently work through complex problems and derive innovative solutions/options.
· Negotiating/Analytical- ability to conduct complex negotiations and perform complex vendor/pricing analysis independently.
· Interpersonal Skills- ability to build effective organizational relationships inside and outside the department; ability to inspire trust via open, candid relationships, fair treatment and behavior consistent with expressed beliefs and commitments.
· Strategic Management- ability to develop distinctive strategies to achieve competitive advantage; translate broad strategies into specific objectives and action plans; align the organization to support strategic priorities.
· Presentation Skills- ability to make clear, concise and convincing business presentations that will have high level impact with executive and senior level management.
· Leadership- ability to act as team leader for special task assignments; providing leadership in development of purchasing skills and specific commodity knowledge for project team members; demonstrated ability to develop subordinates by driving, delegating, supporting, coaching, and empowering.
· Computer Skills- working knowledge of Microsoft Office software, including Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook, as well as Sourcing software.
· Other- strong ability to elicit internal and external support; strong interpersonal skills; strong time management skills; ability to work under pressure and short timelines; able to handle multiple projects simultaneously, meeting deadlines as required.
We offer a competitive benefits package including medical/dental/vision, life insurance, paid vacation/holidays, and 401(k) with company match and generous dining discounts. Every team member working at the Restaurant Support Center (aka Brinker headquarters) is eligible for annual bonus potential.
Our campus includes an onsite gym plus opportunities to increase your wellbeing with onsite Yoga and boot camp programs. Work/Life/Fun balance in a casual and collaborative work environment! Team members enjoy company-wide events and celebrations. Regular volunteer opportunities with our community give back programs.
Check our Careers page for more exciting opportunities! Brinker Careers