Category Manager - Packaging/Disposables
November 10, 2023
Category Manager Packaging/Disposables
What does it mean to be a BrinkerHead? We play like a team, take pride in our culture and seek every opportunity to make people feel special. Life is short. Work happy. At Brinker, we connect, serve and give to create the best life for our Team Members, Guests and community. Through our cultural beliefs, Brinker empowers its Team Members to positively impact our 4 Key Results: Engaging Team Members, Bringing Back Guests, Growing Sales and Increasing Profits. Brinker International is an equal opportunity employer; we foster an inclusion environment that promotes respect, diversity of thought and success for all.
This position is responsible for supporting Brinker team members in strategic sourcing activities for non-food spend categories (packaging and disposables) with a focus on quality, continuity of supply, and cost while ensuring compliance with company standards. This individual will develop and maintain strong relationships with suppliers and internal business partners to ensure alignment between business strategy and sourcing execution.
Your Key Job Functions
· Create, issue, and manage RFx (Requests for Information, Requests for Proposals) using appropriate department processes & technology.
· Analyze complex data, negotiate prices and terms, and develop contracting recommendations based on sound judgment, problem solving, and financial analysis. Ensure the appropriate business terms are incorporated into all resulting agreements.
· Ensure all suppliers have sufficient production and quality capabilities to meet Brinker’s needs. Manage production and inventory levels at supplier facilities to ensure reliability and lowest total cost while avoiding costs for obsolete inventory.
· Initiate and develop long-term alliances with suppliers and internal business partners to leverage the company’s knowledge and purchasing power and secure the best products, service, quality, and price in the industry.
· Continually seek out and develop new suppliers to ensure a competitive edge in the industry and the lowest possible cost to all Brinker restaurants.
· Provide regular reports to group and Supply Chain senior leadership on the status of key supplier initiatives and innovation for the assigned non-food categories.
· Responsible for addressing day-to-day operational issues such as project management, product testing and rollouts, sourcing new products, and solving problems with assigned products.
· Support Brands’ Culinary and Operations, with product sourcing and development, supplier negotiations, and effective inventory management for new product implementations in support of menu changes.
· Proactively stay informed on industry and market information, category specific trends, best in class suppliers, and competitor activity and provide information and ideas to Chili’s and Maggiano’s as appropriate.
· Take a lead role in addressing difficult product and stakeholder support issues; convey a sense of urgency and drive issues to closure in a positive and productive manner.
· Ensure that Brinker’s Code of Business Conduct is followed in dealings with all suppliers and distributors.
What You Bring to the Team
· BA/BS or equivalent in skills and training.
· 3-7 years of supply chain experience in the restaurant or hospitality industry required. The ideal candidate will have deep experience with packaging and disposables.
· Technical Knowledge – possesses broad and deep technical non-food procurement knowledge including product raw materials (paper, aluminum and plastics) along with supplier capabilities.
· Negotiation/Analytical Skills – Ability to plan and conduct complex negotiations and perform complex analysis of supplier pricing and capabilities.
· Computer Skills - Strong computer skills in Excel, Word and PowerPoint, and familiarity with sourcing software. Must be able to create spreadsheets, use formulas, graph data, and create professional looking output.
· Strategic Management - Ability to develop distinctive strategies to achieve competitive advantage; translate broad strategies into specific objectives and action plans; align the organization to support strategic priorities; foresee and take action to deal with problems and opportunities.
· Presentation Skills - Ability to make clear, concise and convincing business presentations that will have high level impact with senior level management.
· Communication Skills - Excellent written and verbal ability to deal independently with Brinker team members and suppliers. Must be capable of synthesizing information and presenting it in format desired and understood by the listener.
Influencing – Makes an impact on the organization by demonstrating subject matter expertise and influencing others’ actions and results, with or without formal authority.
· Organization - Strong ability to work under pressure and short timelines, able to handle multiple projects simultaneously, meeting deadlines as required. Must be able to work on several complex projects simultaneously and proactively re-prioritize projects as needs change.
· Relationship management - Ability to interact effectively both formally and informally, foster trust and cooperation among coworkers, franchise partners, and suppliers. Understands and effectively navigates organizational politics, demonstrates Brinker Cultural Beliefs and uses the Culture of Accountability to accomplish objectives.